How to apply for a firearm, shotgun or explosives certificate
Find out below how to apply for or renew a firearm, shotgun or explosives certificate. Whether you’re a firearm owner, firearm dealer, shooting club member or planning to travel with firearms, answer a few quick questions and we’ll guide you to the right form and everything you need to complete it.
Apply for a one-for-one variation to a firearm certificate
How do I apply?
You can apply online.
How much does it cost?
It's free to vary your certificate.
Step 1: complete the online form
You'll need these details:
- details of the firearm(s) you wish to vary and why
- a photo of your current certificate (in .jpg or .jpeg format) including a photo of Table 2
- details of any physical or mental health conditions you have
- the name and address of your current UK GP or UK GP practice
- details of any previous convictions
Step 2: post your current firearm certificate to:
Firearms Licensing Department
Derbyshire Constabulary Headquarters
Please note: if you need to update your GP details you can do that online here.
What happens after I apply?
We’ll email you your reference number for your records and we'll get in touch as quickly as possible if we have any questions about your application or need to ask for more information or arrange a home visit.
Otherwise, you should receive your updated certificate within eight weeks.Start