This page has information and advice if you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired, or find it hard to use the phone.

The video below in British Sign Language (BSL) shows the ways people who are deaf, hard-of-hearing or speech impaired can get in touch with us.

SMS text

For emergency and non-emergency texting, please see our main contact us page.


If you use our Deaftext system, please continue to use it, as it is available to all mobile phones.

How to decide if it’s an emergency or non-emergency

The BSL video below shows situations that will help you understand the difference between emergency and non-emergency SMS numbers.

Police Link Officers for Deaf people (PLOD)

We have police officers and staff who act as Police Link Officers for Deaf people (PLOD) and are available for advice and information.

Our link officers:

  • hold qualifications in British Sign Language 
  • use their skills to assist in enquiries
  • provide advice and information
  • don't provide interpreting for evidential procedures

We can also, subject to availability, make use of professional lipspeakers. Ask an officer to contact one if this is what you're used to.

For more information, you can visit our PLOD Facebook page and watch our PLOD video below.

Care Card service

If you, or someone you care for, has difficulty using phones, you can register for a Care Card. This could mean the person has:

  • limited verbal communication
  • lack of confidence
  • difficulty holding a phone for a while

This card has the person’s contact details, and registers them with us so our contact centre can understand their needs straight away.

Support for people vulnerable to extremism and radicalisation

The East Midlands PREVENT team tackles extremism and radicalisation and supports vulnerable people who might be targeted. The PREVENT video below is accessible to BSL users. 

How to decide between hate incidents and crimes

A British Deaf Association survey has shown that many deaf people don’t understand what a hate incident or crime is or how to report it.

The BSL video below shows situations that will help you understand the difference between hate crimes and incidents and how to report them.

Make a complaint

The video below explains in BSL how you can make an official complaint against the police.