We are appealing for any information that might lead to the identification of the person(s) who caused the fire with a camping stove at Win Hill Edge at Lady Bower on Tuesday 19 July.
Fire crews attended at 3.42pm and have remained at the scene with infrared images demonstrating how the ground was still holding heat days after the initial flames.
At the seat of the fire was a camping stove, pictured below.
Derbyshire Rural Crime Team posted on their Facebook page: “This careless act has caused extensive damage to the ground, foliage and trees over several acres of moorland.
"The conservative cost to the Fire Service alone is estimated at £250,000. In addition to their resources, it was necessary to deploy a helicopter to bring the fire under control and prevent further damage and risk to life.
"On behalf of all the emergency services, invested parties and all members of the public who enjoy our beautiful countryside spaces, please act responsibility. This fire highlights the risk of having open fires and barbecues in the countryside.”
Anyone with any information is asked to get in touch using any of the below methods, including reference 22000422633: