Simple tips to help keep safe during dark winter nights
Main article content
With gyms currently closed, and other fitness options limited, more people will be out and about in the evening or early morning - while those commuting to work may be cycling, running or walking as an alternative to public transport.
Whatever the reason you find yourself out in the dark a few simple tips can make all the difference to your safety:
- Be alert to your surroundings. Do not walk whilst chatting on your mobile phone or with earphones in.
- Stick to well-lit and well-used areas. Do not take short cuts through dark and remote alleyways, parks or wasteland.
- If you think you are being followed go to the nearest place where there are other people and call the police while on your way there.
- If you have concerns about a group of people or a particular situation, keep away and find a well-lit, busier area.
- Let friends and family know where you are and what time you will be are expected.
- Walk with a friend or in a group where possible.
- Make sure your location settings are switched on on your mobile phone.