Beware of census scams
Main article content
The census is a unique survey that takes place every ten years.
Completing the census provides an overview of all the people and households in England and Wales. It helps to ensure your local area gets services such as transport, education and healthcare needed now, and in the future, and will give an understanding of the impact that coronavirus has had on different communities.
Census 2021 is a digital-first census, which means people are encouraged to respond online if possible. You will be able to complete the census using any device, including your mobile phone or tablet.
Census day is Sunday 21 March 2021, but you can fill yours in as soon as you get your access code in the post from the Office for National Statistics. Simply go online and enter the code into the secure website to get started.
Be scam aware
- Always use a secure website, entering the URL into a browser or search engine – do not click on links within emails, these may take you to fake websites.
- At no point will you be asked for your bank details or need to provide any form of payment.
- If you require help to fill out your form, this service is free. Useful information can be found here: https://census.gov.uk/help.
- You will not receive any payment for completing the census, so any offers of money in exchange for your account details will be fraudulent.
- No-one will enter your home in relation to the census.
What to expect from census field officers
After Census Day, at the end of March and into April, census field officers will be visiting households where they have not received a completed census form.
They will encourage people to complete the census and help you to access further help if you need it.
Field officers will never need to enter your home.
Field officers will be working in the same way as a postal or food delivery visit. They will be wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and working in line with government guidance.
Further information on the 2021 Census, can be found on the Government website.