Police in Derby urge van owners to have their tools marked for free
Main article content
Earlier this month we talked about a series of thefts from vans in the Derby and South Derbyshire area and asked owners to security mark their tools.
A further set of events has now been arranged by our Safer Neighbourhood teams across the city and we are urging van owners and/or owners of power tools to attend and have their tools marked for free.
Security marking tools works as a deterrent to thieves as it connects the item to the rightful owner and proves the item to be stolen.
There is nothing more frustrating for our officers to arrest a suspect, recover a quantity of suspected power tools only to find we are unable to show that the item is stolen and whom it belongs to, security marking helps with this and as such makes it harder for the thieves to sell on the stolen property.
The security marking events arranged are as follows:
- Saturday, 16 November - 10am – 2pm – Outside Screwfix and Greggs, Alfreton Road Industrial Estate, Derby
- Tuesday, 19 November – 10am -1pm – Junction of Shaftesbury St and Columbo St, Derby
- Saturday, 23 November – 10am – 1pm – Normanton Park Car Park, Colwyn Avenue, Derby
- Saturday, 23 November – 11am – 2pm – Outside Halfords, Wyvern Retail Park, Chaddesden, Derby
- Thursday, 28 November – 5pm – 8pm – King George’s Playing Fields Car Park, Carlisle Avenue, Littleover, Derby.