Unless a crime has been committed or someone is in immediate danger, the police are unlikely to intervene in civil disputes. However, we’ll put you in touch with the groups and organisations who can help. Complete the sentence below to get the advice you need to resolve your dispute as quickly and amicably as possible.

Advice tool

I’m having a dispute with an ex-partner or spouse about breaching their access rights to our children

If you suspect you or your children are in immediate danger, call 999 now.

As long as there's no immediate danger, this is a matter of family law and we don't have the authority to intervene.

We recommend seeking the advice of your solicitor. It's likely that your case will go back before the court, which will decide what course of action to take.

You may find these resources useful:

Separating or divorcing: what you need to do

Citizens Advice

This information is provided courtesy of Ask the Police.