Doing Business with the Force
Derbyshire Constabulary has a small procurement team whose role is to ensure that goods and services are procured effectively and value for money is maximised.
The force will award contracts for regularly-used commodities and for long-term services. These contracts may be solely for the use of Derbyshire Constabulary or additionally for use by other forces and public bodies.
Over £30 million is spent each year on goods and services to support police operations and corporate services. Examples of expenditure areas include information services (IT systems), fleet, property maintenance, and office requirements.
The method of procurement will depend on the value of the requirement.
Contracts valued £1 up to £5000.
- Where no pre-negotiated contract exists a minimum of one quote will be sought. If the requester is happy with the price and quality an order will be raised. If an order number is not provided with a request to supply goods or services, ASK for one. Invoices are cleared quicker against a valid order number.
- Where a contract exists with fixed pricing an order will be placed directly against the contracted supplier.
Contracts valued £5000 up to £25,000
- Where no pre-negotiated contract or framework agreement exists a minimum of three quotations will be sought. The supplier with the most advantageous offer (mix of price and quality) will be asked to supply by means of a purchase order.
- Where a contract exists with fixed pricing an order will be placed directly against the contracted supplier. Where a framework agreement is being used the terms of the agreement will determine if a further competition is required or a direct award can be made.
Contracts valued £25,000 up to £181,302 (£181,302 is the value at which EU procurement regulations apply).
- Where no pre-negotiated contract exists a competitive process will be followed. The requirement will be advertised in the national procurement website Contracts finder: www.gov.uk/contracts-finder. Suppliers can register with the site in order to receive e-mail alerts of opportunities.
- Requirements will also be advertised on the Source Derbyshire website: www.sourcederbyshire.co.uk. There are no fees for registering with these sites.
Contracts valued over the threshold for European procurements.
The thresholds are currently:
- £181,302 for Goods and services
- £4,551,413 for Works
- Where no pre-negotiated contract or framework agreement exists these requirements will be advertised according to procedures set out in the Public Contracts Regulations 2015. This includes publication in the Official Journal of the European Union. The online version can be found at: http://ted.europa.eu/TED/main/HomePage.do. However these higher value requirements will also be published in Contracts Finder.
Derbyshire Constabulary in deciding the optimum procurement strategy for a particular requirement will always consider the use of framework agreements let by public buying organisations (PBOs) as this often offers cost and time saving advantages.These PBO’s will always openly invite bids from suppliers to gain places on their frameworks.
Examples of PBOs are:
Crown Commercial Service (CCS) - https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/crown-commercial-service
Eastern Shires Purchasing organisation (ESPO) - https://www.espo.org/
Yorkshire Purchasing Organisation (YPO) - https://www.espo.org/
Supply opportunities may arise from the tenders issued by these bodies.
Tender opportunities are managed electronically via a web based tendering portal called bluelight e-tendering. The site can be found at: https://bluelight.eu-supply.com
Suppliers can register in advance of opportunities being listed, is free to use and will have access to opportunities entered by emergency service organisations across the country.
Equality and Diversity
If you are an existing or potential future supplier, please find linked the Equality Duty Guidance for Contractors and Suppliers.
Should you have any queries, please contact the procurement team – firstname.lastname@example.org
The procurement team can be contacted at email@example.com