We have set up a new police telephone number for people who, for example, have difficulty using the phone, limited verbal communication, low levels of confidence or difficulty holding the handset for a long time.

This telephone number is produced onto a care card with a reference number. This reference number is different for each person and to get a card you need to complete the online application form that is attached to the bottom of this page.

Why is this needed?

Sometimes when people with learning disabilities and other disabilities call the police, they may struggle to answer all the questions being asked by the call handler.

This can mean that calls are not completed and there might be delayed response from police officers and staff if they do not have all the information needed.

This number is for non emergencies only; if there is an emergency, the caller must always call 999.

The card can also be shown to a trusted person or official (for example ambulance staff, security staff, shop staff, police officers and staff) so they can find out how to help the person in difficult or crisis situations.

How does it work?

You need to complete the online form below which requests the following information:

  • name, address, telephone number, date of birth
  • details of trusted persons
  • information about the individuals disability or communication difficulties
  • how to best to assist the person on the phone

The information from the form is then entered into the police call handling database and a unique reference number is issued. This is printed on the card with the new telephone number. When the new number is called, the person who answers will know the callers has a disability and will ask them for the reference number which will bring up all their details.

Who can register?

 A person can register for this service if:

  • they have a disability or illness that affects their ability to hold a telephone for long periods of time.
  • they have a condition that affects their behaviour or memory.
  • they become easily confused or agitated due to their illness, which sometimes can be aggravated by stressful or prolonged situations.
  • their ability to communicate effectively is hindered by the symptoms of a medical condition or as a result of an injury.

A carer may apply on behalf of the person they care for.

For more information about this and to apply please fill out the application form.