Derbyshire Capture allows you to securely upload dash cam footage or digital footage of road traffic incidents directly to us.

Upon submission of your footage, you will receive an email outlining the possible outcomes of your submission. A Roads Policing officer will then review your footage and contact you if any criminal proceedings are to be undertaken on the back of your submission or if any further information is required from you to ensure that a thorough investigation, if necessary.

In some circumstances the footage may be viewed and marked as no further action.

The benefits to this system are:

  • Easier and quicker for the public to submit footage to the police
  • A crime containing dash cam/digital footage will be able to be investigated more quickly
  • Improvements in safeguarding people as offenders can be brought to justice more quickly
  • Police officers will be able to spend more time on the streets.

To submit your footage to us, please visit

Note: This system is not for the reporting of road traffic collisions and any instances of careless driving etc where damage has been caused should be reported via our road traffic incident reporting form. CCTV footage and digital footage not relating to traffic incidents should not be uploaded. If you do upload footage with no relation to a traffic offence your submission will not be processed.

If you are reporting a road traffic incident, and don’t have any digital footage of the incident, please do so via this link.


Please read the list of frequently asked questions before submitting your footage.

What is Derbyshire Capture?

Derbyshire Capture is a police response to the ever increasing submissions of video and photographic evidence from members of the public in relation to witnessed driving offences in the Derbyshire area ONLY.

What offences are included in Derbyshire Capture?

Derbyshire Capture will investigate offences of dangerous driving, driving without due care and attention, careless driving, using a mobile phone, not wearing a seat belt, contravening a red traffic light, contravening solid white lines, and other offences where the driver is clearly not in proper control of the vehicle.

I cannot read the number plate of the offending vehicle, can you enhance it?

No. Officers cannot enhance recorded footage. If you are unable to read the vehicle number plate from the original clip, then the officers are unlikely to be able to read it when they replay the footage.

How do I report an offence?

You can report an offence via

Will my mobile phone or other recording device be taken from me?

No, the device you use to record the offence will not be taken from you.

What do I need to do with the original recording?

It will be your responsibility to ensure that the original footage is saved in its original format dependant on how it is stored on the device. This could be, for example, on the internal memory of the device or perhaps on an external storage medium such as an SD card.

So, if I must keep the memory card or device to one side, will the police give me a new one?

No. The police do not replace memory cards or devices with like items in any circumstances.

I’ve put my footage on social media, and it’s getting lots of comments. Can I ask you to take a look please?

Please remove the footage from social media. Crown Prosecution Service (CPS)advice is that your footage should not be in the public domain as this may adversely affect any subsequent proceedings. Please fill in the Derbyshire Capture web form and start the process with us.

Can't I just send you some screen shots from a video I have? They clearly show the offence I want to bring to your attention.

Only if the images clearly demonstrate the offence being committed. Dependent on the offence, officers may require the video footage of the whole incident. They may also need to see more of your journey so that they can understand the context of what happened.

Will I have to make a statement?

Yes, as part of the Criminal Justice process, and in order to allow the officers to deal with the offender in an appropriate manner, you will be required to provide a statement. However, this can be completed online and most of the statement will be completed as a result of you answering some simple pre-formatted questions.

Will I have to go to court and give evidence?

Early indications suggest that on average only 1 to 2% of all reported offences result in a court appearance. There are other disposal methods available such as attendance on a driver improvement course or the acceptance of a fixed penalty notice.

If, on the very rare occasion the offence which you report does require a court appearance, then you will be fully supported through the process.

Will my own driving or the way in which I captured the footage be scrutinised?

You must be aware that when the officers review the footage which you submit that they are duty bound to also review the manner of your driving and also the manner in which the footage was obtained. For example, if you were exceeding the speed limit in order to catch up with an offending driver and then proceeded to film them with your mobile phone whilst driving, then the officers will consider also taking proceedings against you. Don't break the law simply to incriminate other drivers.

What will happen to the driver?

There are a number of disposal methods available dependant on the nature of the offence. The driver could be offered a Driver Education Course, they could receive a Fixed Penalty Notice, they could receive a Summons to attend Court or we may decide we are unable to take any further action. The footage and statement will have been reviewed by a warranted police officer who will take all factors into consideration, including current CPS charging standards.

What forms of evidence will be acceptable?

Evidence will be accepted in the form of still photographs or video footage. You must consider whether the footage you have will be sufficient for the officers to investigate and prosecute an offence. For example, a still photograph may be acceptable to prove an offence of using a mobile phone but video footage would be required for an offence of failing to stop at a red light.

Do I need to have a date/time stamp on my video footage? If so, must this be exactly the right time?

Ideally the date and time should be correct. The video footage is used to support your written witness testimony. You must account for any discrepancies in date/time within your witness evidence presented to us. Your witness statement must clearly state what time/date the incident occurred.

I want you to see the footage but don’t want to go to court. Can’t you just deal with it?

We need your statement; we need to fully understand the situation and people have a right to have matters heard in a court of law. Please fill in the web form. We will be in touch if you are required to attend court and support you through the process.

How will the evidence I provide be used?

The evidence which you provide to us by way of the submission of digital media footage and a statement will be reviewed by an experienced officer to firstly establish if an offence has been committed and to identify the specific offence. The information will then be passed to the Central Ticket Office where the offence will be processed and certain paperwork will be sent to the driver of the offending vehicle.

Will the offending driver know who I am?

The offending driver will not be provided with your details. However, on the rare occasion that the offence which you have reported results in a court appearance, then at this stage the offending driver will become aware of your name but not your address or any other personal details.

Are there any time limits which I must adhere to?

The types of offence which Derbyshire Capture deal with generally have a 6-month time limit for prosecutions. The officers also have an obligation to inform the offending driver of the offence which they have committed usually within 10 days of the incident. Please make your submissions as soon as possible. If 10 days have passed, please submit your evidence as the officers may still be able to take action.

What if I have footage of other offences not covered by Derbyshire Capture?

If you have footage of any other types of offences not covered by Derbyshire Capture, then it is suggested that you contact the relevant authority which generally tends to be the police or the local authority and provide them with the footage. The police can either be contacted via 101, this website, or via Facebook/DerbyshireConstabulary or Twitter via @DerPolContact.

How will my footage be stored?

The footage which you submit along with your statement will be stored securely on a cloud server.

How long will the footage be stored for?

The information which you submit will generally be retained for a period of 2 years or at least until the conclusion of any proceedings.

You’re asking the public to do the police’s job here. Why can’t you catch all these people breaking the law?

The police have been receiving complaints from members of the public about dangerous and anti-social driving for some time. Derbyshire Capture allows us to effectively deal with the footage in a safe and secure way, whilst making the investigation process simple and straight forward for the police and members of the public. They have a determined and robust approach to policing the roads and will take every opportunity to make them safer for everyone. Derbyshire Capture is not asking you to go out and detect offences for us, but we will deal with any you find.

All Roads Policing cars, marked and unmarked, are fitted with video recording equipment. The officers make use of this all the time. They capture offences and deal with them as appropriate. The officers work in partnership with local authorities and other police forces. The camera vans you see are not there just to catch people speeding. They capture all sorts of offences and deal with them: people using phones, people distracted by sending texts, people not wearing their seatbelts etc. They are deployed for the safety of all road users.

What about cyclists, horse riders and close passes - will you deal with them?

Yes, where appropriate and providing a Road Traffic Offence has been committed, cyclists and horse riders are very vulnerable on our roads. If you have video footage of a close pass please fill in the web form for Derbyshire Capture.

What about the cyclists breaking the law? If you're going to process people for careless driving by putting cyclists at risk, what about the cyclists who ignore red lights and cause risk with their riding?

The officers will deal with all matters of careless/riding/cycling as best they can. It’s vital to remember that the vulnerable road users such as pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists and horse riders are at much greater risk of serious injury and death than those in cars. Our priority should always be to protect those most vulnerable.

If the police and everyone else is going to start taking action over all these people caught on camera, can the police cope?

Yes. It’s easy for people to engage in Derbyshire Capture and processes have been designed to run smoothly. Derbyshire Capture has one desired outcome. That is making our roads safer.

I think I’ve been reported by someone using Derbyshire Capture. What should I do?

Please contact us via one of the following methods: